Comments: Government officials are quietly installing sophisticated audio surveillance systems on public buses across the country to eavesdrop on passengers....

Remember... the militarized police are your friends, 'cause if you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about!

I remember a week or two ago a reader here commented that he wanted more drones.

Posted by Potise at December 12, 2012 11:00 AM

Here in FL, it seems like every other time I'm on the highway there's a "Silver Alert," followed by vehicle information and a license plate number, and finally with a number to call. It sounds like a nice idea - some old person with dementia goes wandering off, and this gets everyone on the lookout. In the past, there have been a couple of occasions where I've gotten a reverse-911 call giving the missing person's description and situation, which was good because everyone in the area got involved.

However, when I'm driving, I wonder every time I see those signs about how easy it would be to set up an alert for someone who is simply a "person of interest." Especially with no details other than vehicle information - I don't know why or how or who went missing, just that somebody wants the occupants of that car.

I don't like it.

Posted by Julie at December 12, 2012 12:31 PM

Julie, when south Florida was going through its drought they were encouraging people to call a number if your neighbors was watering their lawn. In other words, 'turn in your neighbor for crimes against the state.' All over their are billboards "If you see something, say something"

We no longer have to worry about enslavement coming because it is already here.

Posted by Potsie at December 12, 2012 12:46 PM

If Bush 111 were President the chattering class would claim this bus serveillance was Negro contol. And that would be a bad thing.

Posted by james wilson at December 12, 2012 12:47 PM

Do what? Immigrate to the US? Sorry, they lost the war.

Posted by chuck at December 12, 2012 1:12 PM

All very Fahrenheit 451 isn't it. Everyone come out of your house to spot the criminal.

Posted by Peccable at December 12, 2012 4:24 PM

I used to think that privacy advocates were paranoid, but now I'm not so sure.

Posted by StephenB at December 13, 2012 8:55 AM

My paranoid/delusional relative is cakling at all this. He can now carry on conversations with people without them even thinking he's a nutter. His "time" has arrived. :-)

Posted by Don Rodrigo at December 13, 2012 3:27 PM

If I..."were living in 1917 Russia, or 1932 Germany -- but with a clairvoyant knowledge of everything that would happen over the next dozen years..." I'd have sold every possession I owned, and taken myself and every member of my family who I could convince, bribed the necessary officials, and fled to the United States. Because it could never happen THERE.

There's no longer anywhere to which I can flee. The statist collectivists (both the Nazis on the right, and Communists on the left) have taken over, the lunatics are running the asylum, and the destruction of our once proud Republic is now almost certainly assured.

I used to think that people who had the simple goal of taking out as many of them as possible when they came to get 'em were a little nuts. Now I'm thinking it might be an admirable goal.

Posted by Blackwing1 at December 14, 2012 10:11 AM