Comments: Lard, Rye, Grit and what's really good for you

Bring that to NYC and you'll be summarily executed.

Posted by Vermont Woodchuck at March 3, 2013 8:25 AM

Cooking with lard = cooking with flavor. McDonald's fries used to taste a lot better back when they used animal fats.

Posted by Christopher Taylor at March 3, 2013 9:15 AM

I pan-fried french fries in bacon grease last weekend. Delicious.

Posted by Julie at March 3, 2013 11:44 AM

The lard you buy in the store is partly hydrogenated, so you want to steer clear of it. It's really simple to render your own lard. Just cut it into small chunks and heat it in a crockpot.

I always find it funny when America's Test Kitchen does pie crust. They put vodka in the stuff! All they had to do to make it right was to use lard.

Posted by Teri Pittman at March 3, 2013 1:32 PM

I use a lot of bacon grease for frying, its easy to collect and always adds a nice flavor.

Posted by Christopher Taylor at March 3, 2013 4:05 PM

Julie, I think I love you. Would you marry me?

Posted by edaddy at March 3, 2013 5:04 PM

Lard is good. I don't care what anybody says. We have a pig slaughtered each year and to make the best lard, you use the leaf fat from around the kidneys. It's very easy to render, and keeps frozen for a year or more or about 3 mos in the fridge. The lard you can buy in the store is horrible stuff, though. That'll kill ya.

Posted by teresa at March 3, 2013 7:27 PM

You haven't lived till you have tortillas made the authentic way with lard( and a little bacon grease added in) and not that vegetable oil substitute. No comparison in taste, texture, pliability, even smell! I have vivid memories of waking up to fresh tortillas coming off the griddle, slathering them with butter and scarfing them down. Poor Mom couldn't keep up with the demand.

Posted by julio at March 4, 2013 12:38 PM

Posted by julio at March 4, 2013 12:39 PM

If you want to taste some fine lard-based cooking, you will find it the Cajun areas of Louisiana and Texas.

Posted by Lorne at March 6, 2013 9:41 PM